My Wind Turbine build

| My solar air heaters | My drain water heat exchanger | My solar setup | My biofuel experiments | My wind turbine | My lighting projects | Links to information | Home |

This page contains information and photos about the buildup and installation of my small wind turbine.


In this group of photos I am making up the cables that will go down the pole. These are made of #6AWG welding cable which is very flexible. The first picture is the cables laid out on the floor. The second shows me applying some Deoxit to the end of the wire. I also applied it to the connector. Third photo is application of some Loctite thread locker to the connector screw to insure it does not come loose. The fourth picture is the completed connection with heatshrink tubing applied. The fifth picture is of the completed set of cables.


This next group of pictures shows some of the tower details. The first picture is a guy wire attached to the ground anchor. I used augar anchors since this is probably a temperorary setup. The second picture is the tower with nothing on top. The third picture is the base of the tower where the wire down the pole will come out at the bottom. I used pipe hangars and tywraps to attach the weather proof plastic junction box to the bottom of the pipe. The outdoor #12AWG wire that I ran to the garage where the batteries are is visible at the junction box also. I twisted all 3 conductors together in each piece of wire and used one for positive and one for negative for increased current carrying capacity. The fourth picture is the run to the garage. I left enough slack in the garage to bury this cable when the ground thaws. The fifth picture is the turbine parts laid out in roughly their assembly order.



In this group of pictures I am making the connection in the garage from the outside wire to the inside wire. I did this for both positive and negative wires. The first picture is polishing the connector and wire ends with Scotchbrite and applying Deoxit. The second is the completed connection. The third is the connection with split loom around it for insulation. The foruth is the positive wire coming in from the left to a diode to a fuse holder with #10 wire to another lug which then attaches to the battery.





Here is a picture of the turbine on my "test stand"





Here is a picture of the connection at the bottom of the pole.



Home

Please send any comments or questions to:

© 2005-2008 B. McGowan

Comments